William and Flora Hewlett Foundation defines OER as: “teaching, learning, and research resources that reside in the public domain or have been released under an intellectual property license that permits their free use and re-purposing by others. Open educational resources include full courses, course materials, modules, textbooks, streaming videos, tests, software, and any other tools, materials, or techniques used to support access to knowledge”.
Tri-C encourages faculty to adopt, integrate, reuse and re-purpose OER to enhance the learning experience. OER are one of Tri-C’s many strategies for the Textbook Affordability Initiative.
Faculty and students may also publish their materials for use by other Tri-C faculty and faculty worldwide. Creative Commons allows faculty to share with the world under a supported legal and technical infrastructure.
- Increase access high quality, free or low cost resources and materials to students.
- Create and openly publish open educational resources to the Tri-C, local, and national community.
- Support faculty with the integration of OER into course design.
- Provide a vehicle for publishing student-generated content.
Faculty Adopters and Developers:
- Anatomy & Physiology Stress Simulator
This simulator was developed and licensed under Creative Commons by faculty Dr. Chris Caprette (West), Cindy Conaway-Mavroidis (Metro), Dr. Anne Marie Yunker (Metro), and instructional designer, Cheryl Knight. To learn more about integrating the simulator, contact Cheryl Knight.
- Math 0980 – Blended Course – Teaching without a Textbook
Don Gabriel (West) designed a course in collaboration with Cheryl Knight (instructional designer) that uses all open source materials in place of a traditional textbook, so materials are free to students. Initial data suggests student outcomes are parallel to previous offerings where the course used a traditional textbook.
- ENG 0990 – Teaching without a Textbook
Kim Hill (East) designed and developed an ENG 0990 to be taught without a traditional textbook. The face-to-face course will be taught this Spring for the first time. Stay tuned for outcomes!
- MOOC – Pre-Algebra
Tri-C’s MOOC was developed with all OER materials. Click here to learn more.
- Creative Commons
- Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources (Tri-C is a member institution)
- Open Courseware Consortium
- Hewlett Foundation
- Take a FREE and OPEN workshop from Blackboard Coursesites on OER! Sign up at: https://www.coursesites.com/s/_OER-101